The 14% Rest



So I did the math. If we only rested on the Sabbath, we would rest 14% of the year. You know what that equates to? 1,248 hours, 52 days, 7 weeks, 1.75 Months of time off. If this was paid vacation time---I could get with that! The truth is your payment is already built in with the rest you get by placing a higher priority on obedience to God. I asked this question already, but I'm really curious. Is the Sabbath a command or suggestion?


Well according to the book of Genesis God modeled his expectation, and in the book of Deuteronomy he told the Children of Israel to rest after being enslaved for 400 years. Rest had to be trained into them, to undo all the mindset of work. Here, God reestablishes balance. It's a good thing too because without it we would always falter to the extremes of life. Too much peanut butter, not enough jelly. So he tells us what He wants us to do.


He doesn't just stop at the instruction, but goes into great detail to make sure that you have clarity. The fourth commandment given to Moses, says this:

“Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the Lord your God has commanded you.13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do.15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day."

As a modern wife and mother, I understand all the "inconveniences"that can come with giving up a Saturday for the purpose of rest. I know that its the day for kids sports, grocery shopping, or catching the much-needed sale at the local mall. But "would you rather?" walk in alignment with God, or miss out on His promises all because you wanted to work for all seven days versus taking off one.


This principle is similar to practice of tithing. God is asking for 10% of our income (money that without His divine provision over our lives, we would not have) and we think that our lives are "over" because we "only" have 90% left to spend. The truth is, it all belongs to the Lord, he's just asking us to return the tithe to Him so he can bless the other 90%. The same is true with our time and how we steward it.


I can just imagine God listening to His children complaining about being tired and worn out, because of the poor choices they've made in the stewarding of their time. Like I say to my kids whenever we go shopping for a family gift I know they can't afford, "Give me what you've got and I'll cover the rest." I challenge you to honor God by receiving the 14% rest, and watch Him bless the remaining 86% of your time. You'll find you can get more done with less time.

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Trust is a characteristic that requires faith that you will do what you've said. That you will keep your promise. The dictionary says that it's a "firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or

Unfollow